Monday, June 27, 2005

What if? - Always counter productive

When I play pool with my colleagues, there is this one guy who goes "Why, what happened?" whenever I miss something obvious or a shot easy to take. I would annoy me really because, it’s not reversible and even if I found out why; he is not going to allow me to re-take the shot, so why bother wondering why!

The same goes with this habit of wondering what if? At times of difficulty or disappointment we most often spend time imagining what would have been if we have changed some little thing, some little decision in our life. The only outcomes is that it makes you even more unhappy and makes you hate yourself/ or the other person who influenced your decision. The weaker ones are even worse; they won’t even accept responsibility for their decisions, but lay the blame at the feet of the person who influenced his/her decision. There is nothing more counter-productive than wondering what if?

When you take a wrong turn on the road, you don’t actually trace back and wonder why, you just look at where you want to be, and take actions on how to get there from where you are currently. Its quite a gift if we can maintain the same attitude with our decisions that we have to make daily in our lives. We should not wallow in disappointment over how we got to where we are but think about what we need to get where we want to be, as with so many things about self help lessons, EASIER SAID THAN DONE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if I had done my undergrad in Madras, and gone to the US for my Masters. :-)

Shanmuga Kumar said...

Thanks John,

Exactly what sort of things I better not think about