Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Give this a thought....some serious thought

I was planning to write about three things in this week, ambition, happiness and fulfillment.....as I was writing, I was watching the movie Swadesh......something struck me...

This is just a idea, not trying to be a revolutionary and something that does not need to be done tomorrow but something we all should try and remember and if we believe in it, I am sure we will do it sometime before our final goodbye to mother earth.....

Why this sudden inspiration? Well as the director of this movie suggest we Indians take pride in the achievements of fellow Indians or as in the case of Kalpana Chawla, achievements of foriegners with Indian roots, but we never give a thought to "WHAT HAVE I DONE". Yeah I am also referring to the millions who take pride in the achievements of the Sportsmen and team PLAYING for our nation, dont forget the significance of the word "playing". We use the word partiortism so freely that we only end up shaming what our soldiers do day in day out at the borders risking thier lives.........so the famous question, what have I/YOU done for MY/YOUR Nation? Whenever I was asked this question, I would always point to the Foriegn exchange that I have sent back over the past few years but only this movie posts the follow-up question, so what have I done to my country that has improved my country as a whole? I still dont have an answer, yeah I always had a few plans if I had done it by now, maybe I wont be this sorry....... India has contributed in more ways than one to what I am today, if all the vice-versa is true, it wont be something I would be proud of :)

So enough of the harping, the idea is to adopt or identify 2 children in a remote village or a poor family that you know, or from a orphange and take responsibility of their basic needs i.e. Food, Shelter and Education. By taking responsibility I am not referring to just sending money to them every month, but to follow-up and show love and concern and take them atleast to levels we have reached or better, just like what we would do to our own. The bigger sacrifice would be adopt them as our children but sometimes if takes more than a single person's effort for that.....We need not do extreme things like bring electricity to a village or give up everything and return to India, but then I think this suggestion is completely feasible if we apply ourselves to it. Just imagine how many lives this can change over time, the love it will spread........its beautiful!

I have spent thousands to date on most silly things in life, seriously silly and hopeless things , but doing something like this, will make up for all our bad karma and will finally make us all a better person, and it the concept of heaven is at all true, god will atleast give a thought before banishing us to hell ;)

1 comment:

hootie man said...

dude. you'll be in good company
lead singer for rock boyband Good Charlotte, Joel Madden, "My New Year's resolutions are to work on [my label] DC Flag Records and Made Clothing, sponsor two kids in Asia, get involved with Africa, go to church more, get married, make a baby, and write and produce for other people."


make it good baby.